- Bachelor of Arts – Physical Education, California State University, Long Beach, CA (CSULB)
- Master’s Degree – Physical Education/Athletic Administration, CSULB
- Associate’s Degree – Athletic Training, Orange Coast Community College, Costa Mesa, CA
- National Outdoor Leadership School (NOLS) Certified Outdoor Leader, CSULB
- ACE Certified Peer Fitness Trainer
Sheila has been teaching and coaching students, athletes and firefighter’s in California and New Mexico for more than 30 years. After her teaching career, she moved to Santa Fe in 1995 to ultimately accept a job with the Santa Fe Fire Department (SFFD). During her career with SFFD, she was empowered to apply her experience to develop a comprehensive health and wellness program for Santa Fe’s firefighter’s. She also currently serves as an advisory member to the New Mexico National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA).
As a collegiate athlete, Sheila participated in gymnastics, track and field and volleyball. After college, she became involved in the sport of sprint water kayaking and open ocean outrigger canoeing. Sheila is also a member of the Praxis Barbell Club and holds the NM State Record in the snatch and clean and jerk for her age/weight class.
- Paddling sports, firefighting, javelin throwing, gymnastics and plyometric training.
Sheila is still actively involved in paddling and is the head coach for the Santa Fe Outrigger Canoe Team. When not coaching or training, you will find her paddling, windsurfing, sailing or paddle boarding at any one of our local Norther New Mexico lakes.
Any activity near, in or on the water.
Least favorite lift/exercise
I don’t understand the question.
Mango juice post workout and chelada’s on the beach with my friends!
Don’t wait to live your life; it’s happening NOW. Those who do not make time to be healthy will ultimately need to make time for illness.